Saturday, September 22, 2007

Monterey Jazz Festival Weekend

Busy weekend with the 50th Anniversary of Monterey Jazz Festival in town. Caterers were setting up concessions on Thursday as I drove by the fairgrounds. Planes were steadily streaming in to the Jet Center and MillionAir. Quite a different crowd from the Reggae Fest a couple weeks back where the crowd hitchhiked and carpooled, sleeping in the bushes rather than booking hotel rooms!

Thresher Rolle hosted a party Friday night at his place. Not satisfied to be known simply as purchasing and logistics manager for the Santa Lucia Preserve, he flexed his culinary muscle with his nearly famous grilled chicken breasts, slow roasted pork shoulder, savory shrimp with cloves and anise seed, skillet glazed sweet potatoes, caprese salad with heirloom tomatoes, and sauteed summer squash.

Recovering from the Fall Foodshow, combined with a slight hangover, and a little rain kept me close to home on Saturday. I was playing with the stove top smoker in the afternoon. I smoked red and yellow bell peppers, garlic, onion, and heirloom tomatoes for my Roasted Red Pepper and Heirloom Tomato soup. Then I roasted a couple Anaheims and heirloom tomatoes for my Quinoa Tomato and Black Bean salad. Oh what the hell the smoker is hot, so I tossed some sweet potatoes in to smoke.

Sunday morning is the second weekend of 8:00am church service at Shoreline Church in Monterey. Clayton and I are volunteered to make waffles and strawberries for the service so we will be up and out of the house by 6:40. Shoreline and waffle Sunday's were a big fun tradition that we missed while being away. It should be fun to get back.

No comments: