SAN FRANCISCO – September 17, 2009 – U.S. Foodservice-San Francisco, the only green-certified broadline food distributor in the state of California, partnered this week with several Bay-area organizations to showcase ways in which companies can maximize green business practices.
U.S. Foodservice joined the Bay Area Green Business Program, StopWaste, and Pacific Gas & Electric at its 2009 Fall Food Show at the Alameda County Fairgrounds. to offer businesses tips on the best green initiatives to fit their needs.
Many restaurant and institutional customers came to the conference in search of guidance for recycling, achieving energy efficiency and purchasing sustainable goods (including organic, locally grown, compostable, biodegradable, and trans-fat and hormone-free). The advice they shared included:
• Partner with utilities (such as PG&E), which offer incentives for business owners who curtail their facility energy use during times of peak demand. This helps the system better weather peak times while reducing energy costs.
• Encourage employee participation with commuter incentives. Initiate a vanpool or provide preferential parking for carpooling participants.
• Use recycled, biodegradable, and compostable paper products. Try reusable mugs instead of paper cups.
• Replace older appliances and technology with new Energy Star-compliant units.
• Consider alternate lighting options. Today’s energy-efficient bulbs produce the same amount of light, but use less energy to do it.
• Landscape with drought-resistant foliage.
• Recycle water from refrigeration units.
“Our ability to offer green-certified products and services is an important factor that distinguishes U.S. Foodservice from other foodservice providers,” said Phil Collins, President, U.S. Foodservice-San Francisco. “We encourage our customers to appreciate and adopt green-business practices, and are proud to offer sustainable product lines that allow us to reduce our carbon footprint and be a better corporate neighbor in the Bay area.”
U.S. Foodservice-San Francisco also offers green business tips to its customers through its toll-free Green Business Hotline at: 1-800-682-1228, x353.
U.S. Foodservice-San Francisco received green certification from Bay Area Green Business in May 2007. This designation made the company the first green- certified broadline distributor in the country and the only one in the state of California.
About U.S. Foodservice
U.S. Foodservice is one of the country's premier foodservice distributors, offering more than 43,000 national, private label and signature brand items and an array of services to its more than 250,000 customers across the country. The company proudly employs 26,000 associates in more than 60 locations nationwide who are poised to service their customers beyond their expectations. As industry leaders, with access to resources beyond the ordinary, U.S. Foodservice provides the finest quality food and related products to neighborhood restaurants, hospitals, schools, colleges and universities, hotels, government entities and other eating establishments. To find out how U.S. Foodservice can be Your partner beyond the plate®, visit www.usfoodservice.com