Tuesday, January 8, 2008

More Props For The Culinary Center

I have a computer that helps me keep on top of what's going on in Monterey. When I can't always stay on top of what is really happening on every inch of the Peninsula Google helps out with a cool tool called Google alerts. I simply enter in search terms that want to follow up on, and the frequency that I want to receive results and Google emails me the results. Sometimes I come across "gems" of information, other times it's Garbage in Garbage out.

Don't get me wrong it is not google's fault when I get crappy results you have to chose your terms well. For instance did you know that there is a Carmel Indiana
Indianapolis, and Israel? And they all have restaurants so if you type in Carmel Restaurants you just might find out about the new Red Robin, the sixth in Indiana is opening in West Carmel. There are also multiple Carmel Valley's and so on. Go figure.

With all that being said, sometimes I come across interesting blogs like The Jock Girl Wedding Blog. Probably nothing in Jock Girl's blog will help me sell more garbanzo beans or food related supplies and equipment. The bigger message to me is the importance of focusing on the service side of the restaurant and hospitality business. Jock Girl is here to get married. It sounds like she takes this stuff serious too. She covers contingencies like broken heels, and while I didn't see it in her blog I bet she has a battery backup for the Karaoke machine in case of power failure. She initially tried to book one location for a party and was not getting a positive vibe from the location manager that Jock Girls' event was nearly as significant to the manager as it is to JG.

Jock Girl moved on and stumbled into Mary Pagan at the Monterey Culinary Center and she describes her experience in the blog posting I found. It's worth reading in its entirety but at least read the excerpt below for a great post that sums up what Mary and the Culinary Center are focused on..service.

I flung open the door to the Culinary Center of Monterey, and found chef Mary Pagan on the phone. I don't think they thought the door was open. They were definitely not open for business.

CCM was technically closed for the holidays, Mary said of course they would meet with us. After all, we'd come all the way from the East Coast, they could spare a few minutes.

This is the view from the terrace at the Culinary Center of Monterey. We told Mary our budget. Mary said OK. We asked if we could bring the karaoke machine. Mary said OK. She also said we could customize our menu to reflect our personalities. For this reason, we are able to serve lumpia (my favorite Filipino appetizer -- like a small eggroll) with bacon-wrapped scallops (Matt's favorite appetizer). What a GODDESS.

I love the Culinary Center of Monterey. I may enjoy that more than the wedding! hmmm....might be something wrong with that.

No comments: