Tuesday, December 8, 2009

I was up in the Bay Area one Saturday and while Amanda was working I visited the Shadelands Farmer's Market in Walnut Creek. Of course all my neighbors from the Central Coast were there, selling. There were a couple interesting booths though like the olive people. They sold several different varieties of cured olives, tapenades, and one of their best sellers..the Dirty Martini Mix by the quart bottle. The other booth that caught my attention was Scream Sorbet.

Scream based in Emeryville has been around just under 2 years. It's creator Nathan Kurz who was an engineer and foodie. He invested in a Pacojet a unique piece of Swiss machinery that pulverizes sub-zero frozen whole ingredients at a rate of 2000 rpm, turning it in seconds into the smallest possible particles That process is not available anywhere in the world for retail ice cream," boasts Goldner, "only a few high-scale restaurants use it." Besides the amazing texture, the process enables the Scream team to experiment easily and endlessly, making and tasting combinations with the ingredients they just purchased.

I had an amazing Coconut Sweet Potato Pie Sorbet taster and forked over my $9.00 for a half pint. The ingredients were Happy Boy Farms Organic Sweet Potato, sugar, water, coconut milk, and organic spices.
Totally amazing

I gave a home recipe a shot with a slightly smaller budget. The PacoJet is about $4000.00 so I skipped that and broke out my cusinart ice cream and sorbet maker($65.00 at Costco a year ago) I popped open a $1.25 can of organic sweet potato puree, some homemade simple syrup, coconut milk, and conventional spices. Turned out quite good!

Ingredients
1 15 oz can sweet potato puree
8 oz simple syrup
4 oz coconut milk
3/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon

In a blender combined all ingredients until well mixed and flavors were right. Scoop into ice cream maker and spun for 18-20 minutes and into the freezer.

No comments: